Fennel meat balls with hommus and capsicum sauce
Looking for an easy sharing plate for a casual week night dinner or Mezze style lunch? Try this easy recipe using delicious Chris’ Hommus Dip as a base.
- 500g thick Italian style pork sausages
- ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds (lightly crushed)
- 1 200g tub Chris’ Hommus Dip
- 1 cup canned crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 red capsicum roasted deseeded and skinned and diced or 2/3 cup roasted pepper strips diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon or to taste hot chilli sauce (we used harrisa)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Take the skins off the sausages, break each one into 4 pieces then roll into rough walnut sized balls, sprinkle them with the cracked fennel seeds. Fry the balls in a large frying pan on a moderate heat until they are cooked through and browned on the outside. In a small pan on a medium heat add the olive oil and garlic and heat till the garlic just started to change colour. Add the tomatoes, capsicum or peppers, oregano and chilli and bring to a slow simmer. Season to taste. To serve make a bed of hommus, top with cooked meatballs and drizzle with the capsicum sauce.
These can be served with toothpicks as canapés. Or as a main meal with warm crusty bread and a simple green salad. Serves 4. Prep time 20mins. Cook time 10mins.