Open-faced Blue Cheese Sandwich
For the coconut sugar- candied walnuts:
- 1/4 cup raw walnut halves
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp organic butter
- 2 slices of good- quality bread, toasted
- 1 ripe but firm pear, thinly sliced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup Chris’ Heritage Blue Cheese, Fig and Pistachio Dip, depending on size of toast
- Handful baby rocket leaves
- Large handful red grapes, washed and halved
- Cracked pepper, to serve
- To prepare the balsamic glaze, place the balsamic vinegar, coconut sugar and black pepper into a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and cook, stirring infrequently, until the mixture has reduced and coats the back of a spoon (approximately 3-5 minutes). Cool.
- To prepare the candied walnuts, place the walnuts, coconut sugar and butter into a small frying pan over medium heat and cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved and the walnuts are well coated with the sugar syrup. Transfer immediately to a tray or plate lined with grease- proof paper, separate into chunks and allow to cool.
- To serve, place each slice of toast onto a plate and divide the sliced pear; Blue Cheese, Fig and Pistachio Dip; rocket leaves; candied walnuts; sliced red grapes and balsamic glaze between them. Season with freshly- cracked pepper, if desired.